VDL Farms has a rich and proud history. Originally The Van Diemen’s Land Company (from which VAN Dairy takes its name), it has been committed to quality land, dairy, and stock management practices for more than 190 years.
A Proud History
The Van Diemen’s Land Company was founded in 1825 following the granting of a Royal Charter by King George IV in 1824. In 1826 it was granted 142,000 hectares in north-west Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania), which included a 41,000-hectare parcel named Woolnorth, now the centrepiece of the VDL Farms holding. The Royal Charter was updated in 1979 by Queen Elizabeth II.
Today VDL Farms owns and operates 25 dairy farms and a Dairy Support Unit that includes the youngstock rearing operation. It is a 19,000 cow dairy operation with more than 30,000 dairy livestock, a team of 140-150 people, and production of around 100 million litres of milk a year, making it Australia’s biggest dairy business.